It was an excellent day, and the turn out was awesome. I am very excited for the owner of the studio. Unfortunately, I neglected to take food photos in my angst pre-event, and the ones that I took there were less than stellar.
Hopefully I can get my hands on some that the local news grabbed, but here is the run-down of what I made. The recipes are obscure, as I scratched them down as I went. Adjust seasonings to taste!
Curried Quinoa Biryani in Endive Boats
I took a traditional (well, as traditional as I could make it) biryani guideline and tweaked it into a salad, inside of endive boats. I combined the rice with a few raw veggies.
- Zest two limes.
- Saute a few cloves of minced garlic in a pan. Add cumin, cardamom, turmeric and coriander and toast for for a few minutes. Add 1 cup of, quinoa continue to toast for about a minute.
- Juice the two limes into the pan, and add a scant 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, add some garam masala, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 12 minutes, until quinoa has absorbed the water. Keep covered, remove from heat, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred a few carrots, and dice up the greens of a couple green onions.
- When the quinoa is finished, fluff with a fork and put in a large bowl. Add carrots and green onions, the zest from the lime, a few tablespoons ofsunslower seeds, and about 1/4 cup of raisins. Let cool, and serve in endive boats.
Great served cold or warm, and can stay a few days in the fridge.
Guacamole Gazpacho (raw) with Tortilla Crisps
I wanted to create a liquid guacamole, and put them in shooter-sized cups for a quick couple sips. In lieu of the crips, I was going to make a red onion/roma tomato/cilantro topping, then opted for this instead.
- In a blender, puree 3 to 4 ripe avocados, cumin, juice of a lime or two, water, and sea salt.
- For crisps, season a corn tortilla with salt and chili powder. Cut in thin slices, and toast ’til crispy for about 10 minutes at 425F.
Nori Rolls with Fresh Vegetables and Nut Pate (raw)
Based on a favourite from Ani Phyo, this is always a hit. I love the spicy mix of garlic and ginger. I don’t puree the mixture until smooth – I like it a little chunky.
- For the pate: 2 1/2 cups of almonds, 1 tablespoon ginger, 3 cloves of garlic, water, salt, lemon juice.
- Spread on nori and top with alfalfa sprouts, carrots, spinach, and red peppers.
- Roll up and slice.
Pesto Eggplant (raw) stuffed with Tofu “Ricotta”
I could have make the ricotta raw, but doing the eggplant raw was an afterthought, after I already did the filling, which is a tofu based one.
- For the eggplant: peel eggplant and cut into 1/4″ rounds. Brush each with your favourite pesto mixed with some finely diced tomatoes. Dehydrate until soft, about 5 hours.
- My pesto included: lots of fresh basil, a few roma tomatoes, pine nuts, lots of garlic, salt, pepper, and a bit of olive oil.
- Add a dollop of ricotta and fold over, taco style.
- Sprinkle with more fresh basil.
- For the tofu ricotta: this time, it was a simple mix of nutritional yeast, salt, lemon.
Seasoned Flax Crackers (raw) with Caramelized Onions (raw)
- For the crackers: soak 2 cups of flax seeds with 4 cups of water for a few hours. They will get gooey.
- Grind in a blender and add salt (you might have to do a few batches). Add until seeds are quite broken. Add seasonings, such as garlic powder, Italian seasonings. I also added an onion and a tomato.
- Spread thinly on your dehydrator sheets, and dehydrate for about 12 hours, depending on how you want it to feel.
- For the onions, I used this recipe from Russell James. I dehydrated them for about 3 hours, then the next day after they sat in the fridge, they were perfect.
Tahini-Dill Potato Salad Bites
My idea was to take baby red potatoes, boil them, scoop out the filling, make potato salad, and put it back in. I ended up doing it in fingerlings for something a little different.
- Boil potatoes in salted water.Drain, and plunge in cool water so they stop cooking.Scoop out some filling in each one.
- Make your favourite potato salad; I did raw tahini, fresh dill, green onions, and hemp oil.
- Stuff the filling back in and chill in the fridge.